Please follow these instructions for an ACCURATE result.
- A full tablespoon of hair (125 mg) is required to run the lab test.
- Cut hair as close to the skin as possible. The length of the hair should not exceed 1.5 inches. Retain the “closest to the skin” hair as it reflects the most recent metabolic activity and discard the extra hair.
- The sample should be taken in SMALL PORTIONS from SEVERAL AREAS behind the dog’s head above the shoulders.
- Shed or brushed out hair cannot be accepted.
- Brush dog before taking the sample to remove any debris or dirt off the coat.
- Use clean scissors.
- Do not use an electric razor to cut the hair sample, because pieces of metal from the blades become mixed with the hair sample.
Please keep track of which end of the cut hair is from the dog's body because we only want the inch or so of hair that was directly against your pet's body. This is because the hair furthest from the scalp is the oldest. Older hair will show us the chemistry of your dog's body months ago and it's not accurate for your dog's current chemistry.
To get the hair required for a hair mineral analysis, simply cut and discard the unwanted ends of the hair until all you have is the 1-1.5 inches (2.5-4 cm) or less that was closest to the scalp. Use a ruler to be sure you have the right length of pet hair.
Once you have cut your dog's hair sample place it in a paper envelope or inside of a piece of paper. Do not place hair samples in plastic baggies, tin foil, or stapled or taped to forms. Place the hair in a paper envelope and write your name, dog's name, and email address on the envelope.
Place the envelope containing your pet's hair into ANOTHER envelope with your pet's completed lab form and send it to us at:
PO Box 620861
Littleton, CO 80162
Congratulations! Your pet is on it's way to a healthier life thanks to you!